Hey everyone how are we all doing??? I know its been a long time since I wrote anyone a really good letter and I just want to apologize, sometimes I get so caught up with what im doing out here that I tend to forget all of my support base that’s out there, I will try to better ok?:)
So this week was a little challenging, the learning process for my new responsibility of emigration work is really just kind of a tough one, lots of things, lots of tiny little details that I just forget because I´m such a doorknob as my mom would say… Oh well though, the work has to be done, and failure and im getting a lot better at not being such a big doorknob.
My area out here has been a tough one, you would think that I just have one of the strongest wards ever considering the fact that we have the Mexico City temple and the visitors center right next door but its actually been a really tough ward to be in, well, it was, why? For lots of reasons, lots of gossip, lots of members getting offended, poor leadership in some situations but the biggest of all was just the routine members had gotten stuck into of going to church, but not remembering why. It was something that has really made me think a lot about my personal conversion and how I can get closer to my father in heaven, and I believe that is something we should all think about. Are we going to church every Sunday because that’s what we have been doing for years and years and years, or are we going to church because we are really trying to become more like Christ? That’s a huge distinction that we must all make and realize, because at the end of the day there is a huge difference between actively attending church and actively trying to become a better disciple of Jesus Christ.
A miracle I have been able to see in the last few months in this area hasn’t been huge amounts of baptisms, nor have I healed the sick or raised people from the other side, but what I have been able to see is the difference the spirit has made in myself, but also in the personal lives of the members of my ward and our ward as a whole. When I got here I found a ward and members that were really struggling. The ambience of the ward sacrament meeting was cold and harsh, members lacked excitement to be in the chapel with their ward family, and sometimes the spirit itself was very absent during our services why? Because technically we were active members, but we weren’t actively trying to become more Christ-like through our personal scripture study and revelation, through our efforts to be worthy of the spirit, and our efforts to be kind and loving to other people, but my favorite aspect of the gospel of Christ, repentance, has changed things around so quickly that I find myself at church this Sunday (20 minutes early by the way) feeling like I am in a completely different ward with completely different members. Every single member of the ward council were welcoming the members and investigators alike, people sang like they were really trying worship our father in Heaven, and the spirit was felt, and hearts in need of spiritual nutrition were fed. The ability to change through repentance is always available through the wide open arms of Christ, and i can personally say from personal experience and from the changes I have seen in others that the changes made through Christ, which bring us closer to our father in heaven are the changes that bring real happiness into our lives, and I would like to invited you (because im a missionary, if you havnt noticed that’s what we do) to reflect on your activity in the gospel of jesus christ, not your attendance in church, but the efforts you are making day after day to become a better disciple of Christ, and if there are things that you feel need correction, to make the corrections. Even if its something little, just remember that its through small and simple things that the members and I decided to start doing that god works miraculous changes in us. So don’t be shy, start somewhere with something small and through your diligent efforts to get better I promise you God will work miracles in you too.
I really hate to be preachy with you all but I have to admit that I have just been selfish in not sharing these testimony fortifying experiences, but I promise I will be better, because seeing how much my ward has changed through the small and little things really was just a miracle, one that strengthened my testimony and an a story that I hope can help someone out there trying to come closer to Christ. I love you all, I know that real happiness can be found in him, because I feel it every day as i have devoted my time out here into trying to live his gospel. Thanks so much to all of you for supporting me and I hope I can continue feeling all that love from back home because really that’s how I power through the bad days, you all are helping so much and I really do appreciate it.
Special shoutout to mama hicks, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY J
With love,
Elder Hicks
No comments:
Post a Comment